Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Glenmorangie Original



I recently got the chance to try several of the new Glenmorangie range. I have to say that I am not a fan of this new bottling range but at the end of the day you don't drink the packaging! To be honest me as a typical male Scot that likes my whisky and a pint and is not adverse to a fish supper or a plate of mince and tatties I am probably not the clientele LVMH have in mind.

I quite liked the old 10 year old as an everyday drinker so lets see how this fairs:

Nose: Cheap yellow (school lunch) ice cream and custard creams, milk chocolate and tangerines. A little waxiness and with water it becomes a little dusty with soft custard creams.

Taste: Smooth and light and a little bit dry aswell. a faint hint of spice (maybe cloves) and then a orangey note.

Finish: The dryness in the finish of this just lets it down a little bit - still soft and pleasent but a little bit more musty fruits in grocers story than sparkly zesty sherbet that I expected.

Commnet: If it wasn't for the finish this would be an excellent whisky - overall still a bloody good easy drinking number.

Score: 84/100

For an alternative review please try Whiskyfun.

Pricewatch

Royal Mile Whiskies - £27.50

The Whisky Exchange - £25.99

Loch Fyne Whiskies - £25.90

Single Malts Direct - £21.99

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aw man, reading this post made me v hungry!

Which part of Scotland you from?

Im from Edinburgh! Cant beat a good haggis supper too!

:P